Testosterone is the primary male sex hormone, but it’s also present in women. While testosterone plays a more significant role in men’s health, it’s still an important hormone for women.
Too much testosterone can lead to a range of problems in women, including acne, excess body hair, and irregular periods. Conversely, low levels of testosterone can cause fatigue, depression, and low libido.
Certain foods can help to regulate testosterone levels in the body. Here are some of the best foods to eat to lower testosterone in females:
1. Soybeans and soy-based products: Soybeans contain phytoestrogens, which are plant-based compounds that mimic the effects of estrogen in the body. Eating soy can help to decrease levels of circulating testosterone.
2. Flaxseeds: Like soybeans, flaxseeds also contain phytoestrogens. These seeds are also a good source of fiber, which can help to regulate hormone levels and reduce inflammation.
3. Shellfish: Shellfish are rich in zinc, a mineral that plays a role in testosterone production. Zinc deficiency has been linked to higher levels of circulating testosterone.
4. Cruciferous vegetables: Vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts contain compounds that can help to detoxify the body and remove excess hormones like testosterone from circulation.
5. Green tea:
6. Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds contain plant compounds that can bind to testosterone and reduce its levels. They are also a good source of healthy fats, fiber, and minerals like zinc, which is important for testosterone production.